Coaching Mentorship Program
New Mark Swim Team offers the opportunity for older swimmers (13 year old or older as of June 1, 2021) on the team to volunteer as a Rookie Assistant enabling them to be groomed for possible future coaching opportunities with the team.
Rookie Assistants will work with the coaching staff in small group instruction at our Rookie level practices. This affords the Rookie Assistants the chance to participate in and experience coaching youth swimmers. They also get to learn from our coaching staff a variety of teaching and coaching techniques. The coaching staff plays role of mentor to the Rookie Assistants through the season. Rookie Assistants become leaders of the team and also play mentor to younger swimmers. They have a big impact on our team not only the current season, but in years to come.
The position is a great spring board for swimmers wanting to get into coaching after high school. Countless Rookie Assistants have gone on to be offered paid coaching positions with the team. The position of Rookie Assistant is a 100% volunteer role in which attendance is very important. Volunteer hours will be logged and signed for use of the volunteer.Expectations of Rookie Assistants:
- Mandatory attendance
- Desire to learn about teaching and coaching techniques
- Communication with the Head Coach and Board Representative, including absences
- Positive mentorship of younger swimmers
- Demonstrate leadership among the team
- Develop relationships with younger swimmers and show them support at meets
- Logging of hours volunteered to be signed off by coach or designated person